Ventura County Behavioral Health, Alcohol & Drug Programs, Prevention Services are designed to prevent alcohol and other drug-related community problems using environmental and community change approaches. The mission is to implement effective and sustainable primary prevention initiatives to reduce community alcohol and other drug problems.
We engage many segments of our community including residents, coalitions, a wide range of agencies including law enforcement, medical partners, colleges and universities, and elected officials; all to address the problems posed by alcohol and drugs across Ventura County. Our Prevention Services initiatives include Impaired Driving, Underage & Binge Drinking, Prescription & Over-the-counter Drugs, Marijuana, and Other Drugs of Abuse.
SNAPSHOT OF COMMUNITY EFFORTS
UNDERAGE & BINGE DRINKING PREVENTION
- Initiated the passing of Social Host Ordinances in the cities and unincorporated areas of Ventura County to combat underage drinking. These laws hold individuals civilly liable for underage drinking parties by imposing a fine.
- Provide support to cities with an effective management of retail establishments to ensure safe alcohol retail practices.
- DUI Summits highlighting efforts to reduce DUI's in Ventura County.
- DUI Crashed Car Trailer Exhibit - a mobile DUI prevention exhibit to raise awareness about impaired driving.
- Be the DD and Win and Choose Your Ride Designated Driver campaigns to increase awareness of impaired driving prevention throughout the County.
PRESCRIPTION & OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS PREVENTION
- The Prescription Drug Abuse and Heroin Workgroup was launched in February 2012 in response to the growing problem of prescription pain medication and heroin abuse in Ventura County.
- Rx Drug Abuse Summit. At the Summit we look at Local Realities and Local Strategies to understand and address prescription painkiller misuse, abuse and dependence.
- Rx RISK Prescribers Toolkit with materials that may be used to inform patients and staff about the problems and prevention of prescription drug misuse.
- Read about the Safe Pain Medicine Prescribing Policy launched countywide by all hospital emergency departments.
- Published the 2014 report Marijuana in Ventura County: A Gateway for Discussion (Second Edition). A Gateway for Discussion addresses frequently asked but not easily answered questions that surround the issues of marijuana in Ventura County.
- Recovery Month Conference 2012 on “Marijuana: What's the Problem? Risks and Realities” focused on an overview of marijuana and local efforts to educate and inform communities about the risks and realities of marijuana misuse.
- Developed a slideshow for parents on “Marijuana & Your Kid's Brain.” Discusses the impact of teen marijuana use on the developing brain.
VCkidsFYI: Text News for Parents
- Text message campaign for parents to get updates about teens, drugs and alcohol. Get the facts. Keep kids safe.
(805) 981-68311911 Williams Drive, Suite #210
Oxnard, CA 93036