Opioid Solutions Summit
> Download the Presentations Below
This Summit addressed Ventura County's response to the growing problem of prescription pain medication and heroin abuse. Labeled a nationwide crisis and epidemic, reports from professionals and the community made it clear that this region was far from immune. Confronting prescription drug and heroin abuse is essential to protecting the public health and safety of all Ventura County residents.
Keynote Speaker: Sam Quinones
Journalist and Author of Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic
A 2015 National Book Critics Circle award winner for the Best Nonfiction Book, recounts twin stories of drug marketing in the 21st Century: A pharmaceutical corporation flogs its legal new opiate prescription painkiller as non-addictive.
Featured Speaker: Danny Trejo
Iconic Actor, Producer and Recovery Advocate
Danny has developed a prolific career in the movie business, yet his road to success has been hard earned and anything but typical. From imprisonment to helping young people battle drug addiction, acting to producing, the name, face, and achievements of Danny Trejo are well recognized in Hollywood.
Breakout - Track 1
REDUCING THE LOCAL TOLL: Research, Rescue and Recovery
- Daniel Hicks, VCBH Prevention Manager, Alcohol & Drug Programs
- Dawn Anderson, MA, BSN, RN, Director of Comprehensive Health and Prevention Programs, Ventura County Office of Education
- Kristen Donovan, PhD, President and Principal Consultant, Evalcorp
- Kayleigh Hunnicutt, MA, MEd, , Research Consultant
- Rachel McDuffee, PsyD, Regional Clinic Manager, Aegis Treatment Centers
Breakout - Track 2
PRESCRIPTION FOR CHANGE: The New Normal in Opioid Prescribing
- Nancy R. Wharfield, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Gold Coast Medical Plan
- Roneet Lev, MD, Chief, Emergency Department, Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego
- Celia Woods, MD, President, Sterling Care Psychiatric Group, Inc.
Breakout - Track 3
THE INTERSECTION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AND HEALTHCARE: Reducing Opioid Supply and Demand
- Chief Scott Whitney, Oxnard Police Department
- Victor Fazio, Detective Sergeant, Ventura County Sheriff’s Office
- Tina Farales, Department of Justice Administrator, California Department of Justice, CURES Program
> Download Ventura County Schools Respond, Dawn Anderson, MA, RN
> Download Preventing Accidental Overdose: NO O.D. Overdose Prevention Project, Kristen Donovan, PhD
> Download Drug and Alcohol Related Deaths Ventura County 2008-2016, Kayleigh Hunnicutt, MA, MEd
> Download Safe Prescribing, Is your name on a death RX? Roneet Lev, MD FACEP
> Download OPIATES: THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY: Managing Risk of Prescribing Opioids in Primary Care, Celia Woods, MD
> Download Prescription Drug Monitoring Program - A Powerful Tool, Tina Farales