Overview: Reducing Health Disparities
Reducing disparities in health will give everyone a chance to live a healthy life and improve the quality of life of all Americans.
A health disparity is a difference in health outcomes across subgroups of the population, often linked to social, economic or environmental disadvantages. Behavioral health disparities persist in diverse communities. Within these populations there can be increased mental health and substance use disorders. These diverse populations tend to have less access to care, lower or disrupted service use, and poorer behavioral health outcomes.
An important aim and focus for VCBH is to identify and expand local data sources that indicate risk factors, community needs, protective factors and measure outcomes among multiple subpopulations residing within Ventura County. With local data, we can strengthen how we improve practice techniques and innovate service programs needed to proactively reform our behavioral health systems. Prevention Services is committed to addressing at-risk and underserved populations and their communities in Ventura County.
Source: County of Ventura, Strategic Prevention Plan, 2017-2022.
To Learn More
- SAMHSA Behavioral Health Equity
- California Department of Public Health, Office of Health Equity
- LGBTQ+ in Ventura County
- Healthy Communities: Promoting Wellness & Achieving Health and Mental Health Equity
- Health Matters in Ventura County
- Achieving Health Equity, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Why Health Equity MattersHealth equity is achieved when everyone has the opportunity to live a healthier life, no matter who we are, where we live, or how much money we make. And while we can’t currently ensure that everyone will be healthy, we can change the physical conditions in which people live, learn, work and play, one community at a time. These conditions are called the Social Determinants of Health and by improving these conditions we can ensure that everyone has the opportunity to achieve their full potential and improve their quality of life. Stay in touch with us and participate in our Social Determinants of Health Forum Series.
- Social Determinants of Health Series: Healthy Communities - Promoting Wellness & Achieving Health and Mental Health Equity, May 2, 2018
- Social Determinants of Health Series: Designing a Healthier Community - Join the Conversation, November 16, 2018