In the Community - Taking Action
Safe Conejo - Who We Are
The Safe Conejo collaboration was formed in October 2010 when a concerned group of community stakeholders met to discuss the increasing prevalence of prescription drug abuse in the Conejo Valley, in Ventura County. In 2011, three Conejo Valley Community Forums were held on “Prescription and Over-the-counter Drug Abuse & the Heroin Danger.” With support from Ventura County Behavioral Health, the events were sponsored by the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department and the Thousand Oaks Police Department, with collaboration from the Conejo Unified School District, Los Robles Hospital Medical Center, and other concerned partners.
Conejo Valley Community Forums
In 2011-12, several Conejo Valley Community Forums were held to address prescription drug abuse and the heroin danger in our community.
Community partners that collaborated on the Conejo Valley Community Forums: Thousand Oaks Teen Center, Engage Recovery, Thousand Oaks Police Department, VCBH Alcohol and Drug Programs, Aegis Medical Systems and Action Family Counseling.
What You Can Do
- Get the facts on Rx & OTC drug abuse
- Communicate the risks of mixing and abusing drugs
- Dispel the myth that Rx drugs are safe to abuse
- Know the signs and symptoms of drug use
- Monitor and secure all medications
- Properly dispose of expired and unused medications
- Visit your local police department for safe, confidential disposal
For more information about Safe Conejo contact 805.494.8256. Keep up with the latest news at the Safe Conejo Facebook page Conejo Valley Drug Updates.