Healthy Communities: Promoting Wellness & Achieving Health and Mental Health Equity
WHY HEALTH EQUITY MATTERS
Health equity is achieved when everyone has the opportunity to live a healthier life, no matter who we are, where we live, or how much money we make. And while we can’t currently ensure that everyone will be healthy, we can change the physical conditions in which people live, learn, work and play, one community at a time. These conditions are called the Social Determinants of Health and by improving these conditions we can ensure that everyone has the opportunity to achieve their full potential and improve their quality of life.
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Wm. Jahmal Miller, MHA, Director of Corporate Reputation & Thought Leadership at Blue Shield of California; Former Deputy Director, Office of Health Equity California Department of Public Health – The Promise of Health Equity
- Rigoberto Vargas, MPH, Director, Ventura County Public Health – Social Determinants of Health: The Local Landscape
- Manal Aboelata, MPH, Managing Director, Prevention Institute – The Built Environment and Health Equity
- Housing: Nancy Halpern Ibrahim, MPH, Executive Director, Esperanza Community Housing
- Built Environment: Manal Aboelata, MPH, Managing Director, Prevention Institute
- Chronic Stress: R. Bong Vergara, MSW, MA, Adjunct Assistant Professor, USC
- Moderator: Daniel Hicks, VCBH Prevention Manager, Alcohol & Drug Programs
SOCIAL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH TOOLKIT & SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS> See documents below to download.
> Download Health Equity Forum Agenda
> Download Health Equity Forum Speaker Bios
> Download Wm. Jahmal Miller-The Promise of Health Equity
> Download Rigoberto Vargas-Social Determinants of Health, The Local Landscape
> Download Manal Aboelata-The Built Environment and Health Equity
> Download Health Equity Forum Health Equity FAQs
> Download Ventura County Public Health, CHIP Executive Summary
> Download Health Equity Forum Resource List
> Download PhotoVoice Oxnard, R. Bong Vergara
> Download Resource List, Racism as a Social Determinant of Health
> Video: A Tale of Two Zip Codes
> Video: What if everyone could hope to live a healthy life? Five young filmmakers want to know.